Yu Yu Hakusho Netflix Live Action

Yu Yu Hakusho Netflix Live Action | Everyday Myka


I finally finished Yu Yu Hakusho Live Action - and as a child who grew up with this anime, I would rate the live action 4.5 out of 5. Let me break it down below.


The chosen actors, characters and their visuals

I admit that I didn't liked the majority of the casting based off of the released posters.

  • Kuwabara didn't have his classic pompadour style and was too thin
  • Hiei was "too tall"
  • Yusuke was "too small"

Apart from this, the trailer already gave a huge a hint that a huge chunk of the first arc (Spirit Detective Saga) has been cut off. I was really looking forward to the second arc (Dark Tournament Saga) and see how they would bring to life Juri, Koto, Jin, Chu and the rest of the tourney guys.



The live action storyline

I have not followed the production of this live action as much as I've followed One Piece's but I've read that Togashi-sensei, while he was not an executive producer, have visited the set and talked to the actors.


How involved is Yoshihiro Togashi to the live action adaptation of Yu Yu Hakusho?


The amount of compression of the storyline is HUGE as they have squeezed two arcs into JUST five episodes of almost an hour each. But despite this, they have kept Yusuke's main goal, the essence of the storyline was intact and they made the connection of the main characters clear.


Some of things I liked

  • I love how they made a cameo of the original opening music (Hohoemi No Bakudan).
  • The Yusuke and Kuwabara 
  • Removing the Dark Tournament made sense.
  • The Sakyo actor was AMAZING!
  • The 1v1 seemed fast but also made sense.
  • I love how the key moments were kept like the little boy thanking Yusuke during the funeral
  • How Kurama defeated Karasu
  • How Kuwabara was smitten by Yukina
  • Yusuke shouting "Rei Gan"
  • The last moment of Younger Toguro and Genkai in the afterlife


Things that lacked for me

  • Yusuke and Kuwabara's training was too fast, it needed a bit of a build up for me.
  • I kinda wanted Botan to fly with her oar.
  • The SFX was not smooth enough for me (I just have an eye at noticing this)
  • Would've been lovely if Kuwabara's older sister was there too.
  • I wanted Younger Toguro to wear his shades on his 100% form


Both of this list is just me comparing everything to anime -- where everything was stretched out and the dialogues are longer and there were more characters involved in the story. But if you haven't watched the series or read the manga, watching the live action won't make you hate it.

Overall, give it a shot, relive the moments, and embrace the quirks. Spirit Gun, activate! 🔥📺 


No comments:


Powered by Blogger.